Thursday, March 02, 2006

Who is that woman in the mirror?

I remember some time ago, reading a great joke about growing older. I'm terrible at telling jokes, so I won't put you through the painful ordeal of hearing me stumble over the punchline, but basically it ended with a middle aged woman (MUCH older than me :-)) looking in the mirror and asking 'who is this stranger?!'

It was funny then; it's not quite as funny now :-) While my career as a fashion editor often requires me to keep my look updated and fashionable, I'm having some issues with the new face and body I now see in the mirror - who is this imposter?!

I just have to tell myself, what I preach to my clients - you can look good at any age and size, it's a matter of knowing the tricks. I must admit that the tricks I've learned in my profession have served me well. No one else seems to notice the changes that I'm having a mini crisis over! So, if you find yourself trying to get to know the new you, in your new body - here are some of my secrets to continuing to look like a hottie:
  • Thank God for black! I know we all have heard it before, but it is truly a charm. I don't suggest you go totally gothic, but a few classic black pieces will go a long way when you sprinkle color in with your accessories;
  • Heels are better than flats. While I long for comfort, my flats are no longer as flattering as they once were. Sure, there are times when they work, but more often than not a comfortable heel is my shoe of choice. The added height takes off at least 5 lbs of my extra weight :-)
  • Make up. I've never been one to wear a lot of make up and I never will, but there's a lot to be said for a little mascara, blush and lip gloss. My new favorite is my 'Sassy' lip gloss by Smashbox - it looks good on everyone!

Take my advice, these three tips work. Ask my husband - he recently confessed that after our lunch date last week, his buddies wondered how he scored such a hottie!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

iam a petite woman, sometimes i dressed so fabulous, but sometimes is just wear a blouse but out of fashion. i dont know what to wear to make my self more fabulous and attractive to others. what should i do for this? kindly advice me? thank you

10:21 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I just stumbled across your blog and found it very inspiring! I work for a luxury women's apparel company and finding women to represent the line in this economy is challenging to say the least. It was so nice to find your blog and read so many things that speak our language! Things like building a capsule, investment dressing etc.
Thanks for the enjoyable read!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home